My incredible 3 year old has finally mastered potty training. This has been quite the journey for us the past 6-8 months. I knew that boys were "supposed to be harder" and my child is stubborn like his mama. I knew it would have to be his idea but naively I thought a few stickers and some bribing could push it along sooner than he wanted to be pushed....not so much. Our first attempt was around 2 1/2 yrs. We got him some big boy undies for home and for Mary Pat's. We got one of those lil potty seats (waste of $ he only wanted to go on the regular toilet) to go in the corner of the bathroom on our main floor. We made a sticker chart and talked about how cool going potty like the big kids is.....Well he loved his undies and that was about it. While on maternity leave we had potty boot camp days. Fridays when he was home with Ben and I we only wore our big boy undies and sat on the potty chair every 30 min or so. Literally he would sit and sit and sit and sit....and then two seconds after he got off he would be peeing in the living room or on the couch etc. I hit my head against the wall many times after these days....accidents were always followed with crying and "can i have my diaper now"....ok we'll chalk this up to him not being ready.
Wait a couple more months....More of the same. "I don't want to be a big boy" "Can I please have my diaper back now?" "I don't want a present or stickers" (bribing did NOT work in this instance) I knew he'd get it eventually (before he started school which is 3 years away) so I didn't stress or make a big thing of it. I know all kids are different and they all go at their own pace so I didn't let comments get to me. I had SOOOO many people say "hes not potty trained yet? how old is he? Hes 3...oh my" I even had someone say "well we cant wait for them to tell us they are ready...we don't wait for a new puppy to tell us they are ready to be house trained you just force them to learn to go outside" (Yes Im serious my child was being compared to a new puppy)....Luckily I have Mary Pat to be my voice of reasoning and counseling. I go to her more than my pediatrician and she knows Easton as well as we, his parents do. She told us not to fret and that its like a light switch. Once he wants to do it he will and he will be great at it. That's his personality. Well once again she was right. About a month ago he just started coming home from daycare in his big boy undies DRY! Even at night when we put diapers back on him he wants to tell us he has to go and gets on the big potty. He knows to "push his pee pee down" so he doesn't spray the entire room (lol) and he always asks us to "not look" after we put him on the toilet. He then wants to get off, look at his pee or poopy and says "look look i went potty...are you SO proud of me" its the best! I know from a father/financial perspective Brian is excited to only be buying one size of diapers instead of 2 now (although there will be pull ups for a bit too for nighttime purposes or long car rides) and from a emotional mommy perspective Im just proud and excited for him....(and secretly kinda sad that these phases keep zipping by us and he is growing faster than I thought possible). My parents got him a potty seat for their toilet so he loves to tell whoeever happens to be in listening distance that he "went a big big BIG poopy at Nanas house" now we have even more fun things to talk about in public :)
 |
| Loving the big boy Mickey undies....too bad these were peed through about 30 min after this picture |
 |
| Then we refused to wear underwear at all....we just went free for the afternoon (I was NOT backing down) |
 |
| the 1 and ONLY time he used his potty chair....so proudof himself |
 |
Now we are a champ and enjoy our "me" time like our daddy ;)
Happy Halloween everyone...I will add the Halloween pics hopefully this weekend. Disclaimer....these kids are ADORABLE in their costumes XOXOXOXOX |
No comments:
Post a Comment