Friday, September 30, 2011

He's Here!!!!! Best Day of Our Lives!!!!

Easton Charles Kalasek
Born 9-23-11
6:40 PM
6lbs 1oz 19inches
Lets start at the beginning. I went to work on Friday like normal. Left at 12:30pm like normal. Went to my 38week dr. appointment which was at 1pm. They checked me and I was measuring at 38 weeks and everything looked great. We decided that we would schedule to be induced today (Friday 9-30-11) bc he would be almost 40 weeks by then and he was so low that I could barely walk without feeling like he was going to fall out of me LOL! She stripped my membrane while doing the internal check. I had no idea what that meant I just knew that it didnt feel all that great (but nothing really does during weekly check ups). Brian and I left the appointment and I headed off to get a pedicure. We called all our family and friends to let them know that Sept 30th would be the day we all got to meet Easton.

2:15pm During my pedicure I started getting cramps in my lower abs. Felt like menstral cramps and I figured it had to do with her stripping the membrane (still not sure what that meant etc) so I just tried to ignore them and breathe through the tougher ones. They kept coming and going but I wasnt paying attention to their time frames. After the pedicure I was off to get my hair done. (it was a pamper yourself day). On my way to Blondes salon I called Brian complaining of the severity of the cramps I was feeling .I didnt beleive they were contractions just because they were only right in my lower abs and I thought contractions meant your entire stomach cramped/tightened.

3:20pm I showed up at my hair appointment. My mom and I usually go at the same time to Trayci so luckily she happened to be there this day as well. Trayci put the dye in my hair and we just chatted as we waiting for it to set and she finished up styling my mom. I complained to them about what I was feeling and Trayci mentioned that many women do start labor after they have their membrane stripped. I was still talking myself out of it and neither her nor my mom could offer much advice besides to call the nurse. My amazing husband did that piece for me. He said the nurses laughed when he explained that I was getting my hair done :) They just said that I should time how far apart the painful cramps are and if they are getting stronger. By this point they were very strong and I was breathing hard through them. Sitting hurt, standing hurt, nothign felt great and I started feeling nautious. Thats when I told Brian to hop in the car and come get me. Trayci finished drying and curling my hair and I waited for Brian to get there. Luckily weve had our bags packed and in his car for weeks now. By the time he got there my aches (now I know they were contractions) were five minutes apart. By the time we got to the hospital a few minutes later at 5pm they were 2 min apart. We checked into the birthing floor a little after 5pm.

Once in the room the nurses asked about my appointment 4hrs earlier. I said I was btw 1 and 2 cm dialated then. It was 5pm and I was now 5cm dialated. They became a bit frantic as I was moving so quickly. They hooked me up to all the machines, had me sign what I could, and started paging the anestesiologist like crazy. The window was quickly closing for the drugs and was the only thing I was adament about. They were all so shocked that this was my first baby bc usually labor takes a very long time with first babies. Meanwhile they wouldnt let Brian run out to the car to get the camera or video camera. He told them he was going to leave his car keys at the front desk but snuck out and ran to his car fast to grab them. He was frantically calling the parents and letting them know this baby was not only coming this particular day but he was coming at high speed. My dad was down at River City Roundup getting ready for a fun night of partying and preparing for the next days BBQ contest. (we were also going to go to River City Roundup that evening....obviously we found something much more amazing to do). The anesthesiologist got to my room around 5:30-5:45ish and I was now dialated to a 7. They had the back up dr. come in and introduce herself to me just incase Dr. Berryman couldnt make it as quickly as this baby was coming. Now thank goodness I did get the epideral however I pretty much went most of the labor with no drugs and I would NOT suggest doing that. Next baby the second I feel "cramps" I will be checking into the hospital and hooking up the epidural myself if I have to. LOL! The nurses kept telling me that I had a very high pain tolerance for such a small girl.

Luckily Dr. Berryman got there in time. Baby Easton was what they call "sunnyside up" his head was down and ready but he was facing the wrong way. It makes it very hard to monitor his heart rate bc of this. In the meantime Brian is texting with my phone and his own and trying to help me breathe through the pain. The epideral did kick in but I dont think it did the job fully as I could still feel pressure and a bit of pain when the contractions peaked. I think it really did help me know when to push. I pushed for about 20minutes before lil Easton was born. Dr. Berryman had to use forcepts due to him being sunnyside up. She didnt want to take a chance on his heartrate dropping and us not knowing since it was so hard to monitor. They put a fetal heart monitor on his scalp (they threat it through a tube inside me and it attached to his scalp). Brian said when she pulled him out he was holding on to the tube. No wonder she had to pull so hard with the forcept to get him out. Due to her using forceps I thank my lucky stars that I was able to get the epideral.

After that the next hour or two is a blur. She put him on my chest and we just stared at eachother. He was the most amazing thing Ive ever seen with SO MUCH HAIR! Brian video'd and took pictures and I just sat there in awe. I have no idea how long it took to stitch me up, I just remember watching Brian tape and photograph him being weighed etc. and listened to Brian talk to him. It was very emotional. I couldnt beleive that we made this beautiful perfect lil human and he was ours to keep forever! God is good! Brian left to show our parents the pictures and video and let them know we were doing good. We still had to fill out or admittance paperwork and some other papers that we didnt have time for since the second we got to the room they had to prepare for Eastons arrival stat!






Brian got me diamond earings as a suprise "push present"

After they cleaned me up we were able to move to the 5th floor to where we would be staying for our 2 nights in the hospital. We met our nurse for the first night (she had a son named Easton too). And they helped clean me up and get ready for visitors. By this time it was almost 9pm. Luckily the hospital has 24hr room service (and really good food) so Brian was very well taken care of. I had so much adrenaline and hormones racing through my body that i was shaking and me teeth wouldnt stop chattering. They let me know that was normal and I would be like that for a couple more hours. We had my parents and Brians parents come in so they could meet their new precious grandson. It makes me cry writing this at how amazing it was to watch them see him for the first time and then pass him around. I knew that I had the best parents and Brian felt the same about his, but knowing that lil Easton had 4 grandparents who loved him so much already warms our hearts! He is such a blessed little boy. Uncle Patrick and Aunt Angie were able to come up and meet him as well.

Grandma French

Grandma Kalasek


Proud Daddy!

Uncle Patrick

Grandpa French


Grandpa Kalasek


 That first night was very overwhelming. The nurses were amazing and would come in a lot to take Eastons vitals, check me, and help my unterous shrink back down. They helped me breastfeed and provided my pain meds (most importantly :) I did not want to sleep that night. I was on a high unlike anything Ive ever felt. I couldnt beleive I was a mommy and even more I couldnt beleive how beautiful this baby boy was and how naturally parenthood just came to us. I literally stared at him all night or held him. When I did sleep for the hour or two that night I had my hand in his tray to make sure I could always feel him breathing and he knew that I was right there.


The first full day (Saturday) that we were there I had Brian go out and get me a big starbucks latte...extra expresso please!!! We had lots of visitors: friends, family, and the grandparents stopped up a few times. We welcomed any and all visitors. Especially Brian as he got antsy being in that room all day. I thought time flew by, but again I was VERY sore and still on a high from Eastons arrival. We got lots of wonderful very thoughtful gifts from everyone. My mom got lil E an ingraved bat from one of her work trips to Orlando
The pediatrition Dr. Gary came and checked him out as well. She said that he was just perfect. He looked a little jaundiced but not bad at all. She really educated us on what to expect from his cries, to how his limbs moved, the color/texture/smell of his poop....she didnt leave one thing out so we never had to wonder if he was doing something weird or alarming. We also did facetime on the Ipad with Halley so she could meet Easton since her and my brother wont be coming out for another 2weeks to meet him. My mom also got my the most beautiful saphire(Eastons birthstone) and diamond charm to wear on the same chain as my diamond neckolace that I got from Brian during our first Xmas together while we were dating. She gave it to me this week after a particularly hard day (but thats for the next blog). Brian was able to take lots of naps and I tried but again I just wanted to stare at his beautiful face and Im still not feeling terribly sleep deprived even though I know that I am. The second night in the hospital they also do a new parents meal. You can choose from chicken, grilled veggies, or a filet. Then you got asparagus, mashed potatoes, and a brownie sundae with it. Brian brought up a lil bottle of champaign as well. (Methodist has its liquor lisense and you have your own fridge in your room)! It was a perfect ending to our first full day with the little monkey. (thats our nickname for him since he has so much hair and is so long but squirmy).

charm from mom and dad

big yawn before the Husker game



lil monkey

nap time

my love!

show us those dark gray eyes!

nap time

just watching football with dad at the hospital
Our last day we had a few more visitors, again I sent Brian on a starbucks run(and have continued to visit there or Scooters each day since leaving Methodist). Easton got circumsized by our pediatrition, he passed his hearing test, and both him and mommy were discharged Sunday morning. We were told we could stay at the hospital until 11:59 pm but Brian was ready to leave, and I was ready to get the lil man home as well. We did facetime on the Ipad with my brother which was so nice. He was so bummed he couldnt be there so at least he got to see Easton in real time move around and make noises. Once we got home we introduced him to Yukon and Emma. Emma had no interest and Yukon was VERY interested. They both did really good with him that first day. Yukon would get very excited when he screamed or cried, plus he had been home for two days with very little interaction. Brian would go home a few times a day to let him out or walk him (we leave minutes from the hospital) but other than that he didnt have much stimulation for 2 1/2 days. Emma is just very jealous. She doesnt like that there is someone else in my lab and laying on my chest now. She has only shared the couch with us a few times, but pretty much she is over the whole new baby thing. :)

After we got home and semi-settled we had to pick up my pain perscriptions and since having Easton wasnt part of our weekend plans initially we had literally nothing in our panty or fridge. So we went to Target to stock up on groceries, and of course Brian had to take him to subway for a late lunch. So in one day we left the hospital, Easton visited Brians favorite place, and one of my favorite places. Although Brian was quick to tell Easton that daddy leaves Subway with a lot more money in your wallet then when mommy leaves Target :) We were all worn out and ready to get back home and enjoy being a newly expanded family! Being home has been great. I get sleep when I can but am still wanting to stay awake and stare at his beautiful face and fun expressions. Brian is always wanting to do the diaper changes and burp him. He's such a hands on dad its amazing. I knew I was more than lucky and blessed to have met him, and then to have fallen in love with him and marry him, but now Im overwhelmed with how blessed and lucky both Easton and I are to have him in our lives. All in all last weekend was the best of our entire lives. We love having visitors and going to visit people. Its nice to get out of the house and we love sharing the joy and love that Easton brings to us all. I will try to write weekly or bi-weekly about all the new experiences from here on out. Week one was already so eventful! God Bless!
last day in the hospital. 2days old

one last nap

the new Kalasek Family right before leaving Methodist

he likes to snuggle like mommy daddy Yukon and Emma!

my little monkey! 2 days old

the carseat seems so little when we first got it.....until we put Easton in there now it looks huge

so tiny compared to a regular pop at Subway

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy and excited for you sam!!! He is precious, you are precious, your whole lil fam is precious! Hopefully I will be able to meet him sometime when I can come back to Nebraska. again, all the congratulations in the world, and I am so happy for you. love you!

    ReplyDelete