Friday, April 21, 2017

Easter Fun 2017 and life updates


Hope everyone had a blessed Easter and enjoyed the wonderful weather (since this week has been nothing but rainy and chilly). We had two weekends full of Easter fun and I think I'm still trying to get my energy back from it all. We went to a friends Church for their Easter egg hunt. They had a helicopter fly over a field and drop eggs. Pretty sure everyone in Omaha was at the event so needless to say in a giant field full of eggs Easton got 6 and Benny 3 before it was barren....hahaha they didn't care they were so impressed with the whole helicopter show that it didn't matter one bit to them how many eggs they found (and since Easton got more then Ben it was a win win in his book). 
biggest and littlest

My three sons :) 

helicopter egg drop

dying Easter eggs.....

Playing outside FINALLY!

Our Church also had an Easter walk-through presentation. Brian was out of town so I took the three boys to it. They had stations set up with sets and actors (Church members) portraying the events that led up to Jesus being put in the tomb and then being resurrected. After wards they had crafts, food, and games for the kids. There was a cross making station. Just a small example of the difference btw my kids (and probably their ages as well). Easton made a cross for me, Paxton, Brian, and himself. They all had a stick figure of Jesus with nails in his hands and legs and of course blood (bc he's a boy and very detail oriented). He told me all about it repeating what we had just learned verbatim. Benjamin made one cross, put a jewel in the middle of it and said it was his "flying guys" jet back and proceeded to fly it around the room the rest of our stay there. I mean in his defense I can see how the cross would look like a person with their arms out straight....He is constant entertainment.
focused

putting the jet pack on his cross

One of Eastons finished products

Paxton is growing like a weed. As parents we are seriously never satisfied or always worried. I mean at first we were so scared he wasn't gaining enough or fast enough....now we are worried his weight gains are too significant for someone with his disorder. Good thing we go see Dr.Miller in FL in another week bc she will tell us. We email her his stats every couple of weeks and she thinks he is doing good, but its funny how comments like "he's gotten so chubby" or "he's definitely not underfed" spark a fear when you have a child with PWS, whereas if he was either of the other boys we wouldn't think a thing of it. He is drinking better via bottle, but still using the G-tube for majority of his milk. He can hold his head up so good now and is smiling all the time. He's starting to try to roll and can get up on his side (just his left side right now). At 7 months he finally held his head up during tummy time on his own. It literally shattered my heart into a million pieces in a very happy way. I never thought the day would come....well I mean I knew it would happen but it just seemed like a dream. When you spend 7 months waiting for something to happen that most babies do within the first two months of life you can get a bit discouraged and jaded about it all. I try to stay focused on the positives and all the gains he is making but there are definitely days when my fears, anxieties over the future, and sadness at how hard things are for him get to me. It was during one of those days that he lifted that big ole Kalasek head up for me.....This kid shows me just how much God works through him and what a true fighter he is.
bath time smiles

holding his head up like a champ in his froggy seat

visiting Mary Pat and the kids

they are obsessed with him. 
One of the boys at Mary Pats screams if his mom picks him up at the same time I get there with Paxton. Now Brian usually picks the boys up but he also has been traveling every week for the last couple of weeks so I have been getting the boys a lot. The boy is Benny's age (his name is Thomas). He draws pictures of him and Paxton, loves to talk to me and Mary about Paxton getting fed through a tube, always wants to hold him and touch him etc. Its the cutest thing. We are starting to go through the paper work and training to get Mary able to watch Paxton at least once or twice a week. The socialization will be SO good for him and quite honestly Id like to go into the office at least once a week just to see people face to face.
We have matching Stan Smiths.....(the other two boys have them now too) 

After Lucy did PT with him he couldn't muster the strength to open his eyes even while sitting up

some of Marys crew (all boys) in their Bunny masks we took for them to make



typical night of the boys climbing on Brian and watching their electronics
We had a Church egg hunt that I took the two older boys to. It was gorgeous outside despite the rain storm the day before. The boys had a blast and even sat on the Easter Bunnys' lap. Easton let me know that it wasn't the "real" bunny but he'd still get a photo with him just for me lol. They had it sectioned off for the different age groups which was helpful. They asked that everyone take 12 eggs at most. When I finally corralled my two their baskets were overflowing (and so were every other kids there). I told them the 12 egg rule. Ben just looked at me and walked inside to check out the contents of his eggs, while Easton started throwing eggs out of his basket back onto the lawn. Always the rule follower I had to assure him that it was okay if he had a bit more than 12 as most everyone else did too. Then we made some Easter packages to be delivered to kids at Children's Hospital and came home to do some bubbles and enjoy the sunshine!


on a mission these two


so excited with his cross eggs


this is more than 12? 


the Bunny
Later that night we celebrated Easter with my parents. They made an excellent dinner of lamb, potatoes, salad, veggies, and a baked honey ham. Brian still talks about how it was in the top 3 meals my parents have made for us lol. Now I had gotten the boys Easter outfits awhile ago and even though we ended up not doing anything formal for the holiday I was bound and determined to get some good photos in them. Everyone groaned and griped about it. I had one of those "I do SO MUCH for all of you all the time....I don't ask for ANYTHING in return....so I don't think its TOO MUCH to ask for a few photos of us all looking nice"....any other moms out there feel me? Needless to say we got some pictures.....not all of them good but a few shots where everyone was somewhat looking at the camera and attempting a smile. Even Paxton started squirming and fussing when I put shoes on him haha. I cant catch a break.

my handsome men



Seriously the best I could get with the three of them. Eaton started crying bc the sun was in his eyes and Ben ran away thinking it was a game of tag.....(sigh)

the entire crew

Babies first Easter

My mom had an indoor egg hunt set up for them. It was supposed to rain that night so she did it indoors. Of course it didn't rain but the kids LOVED the indoor concept. You wouldn't maybe guess this about my mom but she's super creative and LOVES doing fun things for the kids. My grandma was the same way and you honestly wouldn't guess that about her either unless you grew up being one of her grand kids. I get my love and going overboard for holidays from them. You only get to live the magic of holidays for so many years before it just become a routine thing and the magic is gone bc you are too old to believe in it all. My mom hid eggs in all the rooms of the house and each boy got a treasure map. This way they each had their own rooms with eggs so no one got more than the other. Then at the end they both found their baskets full of gifts. So fun!
the kid loves a good treasure map


Paxton played on the playmat my mom has for him and was grateful for the diapers and toys he received in his basket (mom and dad were excited about the diapers more than him lol)




Nana and Papa French with their boy crew

cute bunny bread my mom had at dinner. 
Easter morning I got up at my normal 4:45am to pump and feed Paxton at 5am, although Brian took the morning shift since it was a weekend. I layed out the bunny paw prints, hid eggs, and set out their Easter baskets and then just drank my coffee until someone woke up. Easton got up first (which NEVER happens unless its a holiday) and then we had to coax Benny out of bed early to start the egg hunt.


The Bunny came! 


pure excitement

Minecraft swords for all! 

Baby bunny
We had a nice Easter brunch and then relaxed at home until we went for our 4th and final egg hunt at my in-laws. They had the eggs all scattered in the back yard and the kids about busted out the glass trying to be the first one to race outside to start the hunt. The weather was gorgeous so it was beyond a perfect day to be outdoors with family! We had a wonderful visit and the kids had a blast. They found eggs, opened them all, put them back together, and then took turns re-hiding them for each other. Having Brian's grandma live with his parents has been so wonderful. She gets to experience all these fun events right along with us and it allows the kids all to have a special relationship with her. I never knew either of my great grandmothers, but I had a very close relationship with my great aunt and I'm so glad my kids get the same type of experience.

and their off

checking out their loot

Crazy to think that we only have one more week of April and then we are into May. This year is flying by....we haven't slowed down a bit since Paxton's birth so that is part of it, and I just think at this stage of life there is no way for it not to feel like its speeding by. 

Easton is getting SO tall and continues to be the smartest most perceptive kid ever. He hears EVERYTHING and is always asking questions....and then questions about the answers from the first questions he asked. He is Ben's full time "go-fer". If Ben wants a certain toy or is throwing a fit bc he cant find something or get something Easton rushes in to go upstairs to retrieve whatever it is or find whatever is "lost"...I frequently hear "Ben why do I have to do everything for you" lol. He still asks for that sister he thinks he still needs and will pat my tummy and say "theres another baby in there"....um no child that would be residual leftover from you, Ben, and Pax, but thanks for pointing that out daily LOL.  He is OBSESSED with Star Wars still so we watch that together in bed nightly and he educates me on all the characters, their relationships to one another, and what they all do. I still don't get it. He is everyones biggest cheerleader. He is constantly helping out at Mary's and LOVES cheering on Paxton. The other night when Pax held his head up for the first time Easton walked over to him and handed me his bottle "Good Job Pax, I'm so proud of you...you deserve this milk" :) Both boys are always hovering over Paxton and loving on him. No once can get Paxton giggling or smiling quite like Easton. I can already tell the bond those two have will be so strong and special. Easton is also a lot like me unfortunately in the worry department. If we go someplace for dinner he wants to know if someday Paxton will be able to go there. They know that Paxton will be on a very strict diet with portions and the types of foods he will eat so Easton is already worried that he will be left out of things. We assure him that there are choices we can make for Paxton at restaurants so he will be able to come with us. Last Wed. as we were driving to swim lessons the radio was talking about the tornado warning we were in. He hates them as much as I do so he was asking questions a mile a minute. Finally I said "I'm the parent let me worry about it. Kids don't need to worry about the weather" and his response was "why cant kids worry about the weather".....lol He is truly growing up so fast it sometimes breaks my heart but excited me at the same time. I am so proud of the little man he is becoming.

Benny continues to be our "one man show" child. He is literally always ON. The only time he is OFF is when he exhausts himself into sleep. He doesn't go down willingly, his batteries have to run out of juice and then he's down for the count. He is also my little hot head. He gets so mad so fast, but then gets over it just as fast. His favorite phrases are "your not going to be my best friend" "I'm just going to do it myself" "I'm outa here".....He doesn't discriminate so these are all things he says to Mary Pat, my parents, Brian, and myself. He also is constantly telling us how much he loves us and Paxton. Everyday he says "I love everybody in the whole wide world mom" He's so snuggly and the second he comes in the house after Brian gets them at Marys he walks in and says "guess whose home mama" and then he leaps into my arms and burrows in. He is always wanting us to lay by him, sit by him, watch him, etc. Unlike Easton he does not like independent play. If he is playing alone he still wants you in the room and watching him. If Easton wakes up before him and comes downstairs you will hear a blood curdling scream the second Benny wakes up...followed by him coming down the stairs sobbing "Easton left me." He DOES NOT like to be alone. For a kid who FREAKED OUT the first two weeks of swim lessons he is now our star swimmer. he LOVES to go and asks all weekend and week when its time for swim lessons. Luckily they are on Wed. so we only have to hear him ask a few days before we can tell him "they are today Ben". He's still refusing to be potty trained. We go to Disney in June so we are now threatening the "Mickey won't let you come see him if you aren't potty trained" or "you cant ride an airplane in a diaper"....so far his response has been "I will but I cant right now its too late" or "I'm going to I just have to wait 42 minutes" For some reason the number 42 is his go to for everything. As I learned with Easton its not worth the energy or stress to push the issue so we are just strongly encouraging him and hopefully one of these days he will want to and then it will be done. If there is one thing I am sure of about Ben its that when he wants something done he gets it done.

Late night snuggles and selfies


my 7 month old prince


look at this big boy! best moment ever! 

I am grateful for each and everyday I get with these crazy boys of mine (Brian included) and although there are times when I am tired, feel overlooked, feel overworked, feel worried or discouraged I wouldn't change a thing. Being a mom is hard work. I knew that the second I had Easton.....each baby boy didn't make that go away or get worse. I don't think it matters if you have one child or five...obviously a child with special needs complicates things but a lot of circumstance can complicate life. At the end of each day no matter how hard it was I always end up in bed between Easton and Benny after spending the day snuggling Paxton he gets a couple hours with just Brian. Easton and I talk about anything he wants to talk about, Ben burrows into me and pats my face and gives lots of kisses and we all fall asleep together before Brian carries them to their own beds. This to me is pure heaven. They are my angels. I am so lucky to have such a hardworking and supportive husband who actually enjoys wrangling the three dudes solo every so often so I can find a moment to drink a glass of wine in piece, relax and work through a headache, blog, etc. God is in charge of our path and although its not been easy lately Im pretty happy with the company I am in on this journey. God Bless! Enjoy your weekend friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment